It is an exciting time when you are newly qualified as an HGV driver. You are ready to take the step into a whole new career. The first step after qualification is to get your insurance to enable you to drive these vehicles legally. Read on for more details about finding and buying insurance for HGVs.

There are many things to consider when buying insurance for an HGV driver, such as the level of coverage you require and how best to keep costs down.

Requirements and Licencing

To get truck-driving insurance you normally need to be at least 25 years old. You also need to have a full UK driving licence which should have been held for at least 2 years. You need a category C1 licence, which allows you to drive vehicles with a maximum authorised mass (MAM) of between 3500 and 7500. Alternatively, if you want to drive a rigid lorry similar to a 7.5 tonne lorry then you will need a C2 licence.

When looking for insurance for HGVs, you will find cover will usually be provided for up to 44 tonnes. You must have a driver certificate of personal competence (CPC) and have held your UK driving licence for 2 years or more.

The Levels of Cover for HGVs

There are there main levels of cover when looking to buy insurance. These are: third party, third party fire and theft, and comprehensive. Third party insurance covers you for injury to another person or property; third party fire and theft will also protect you against losses from fire or theft in addition to third party coverage; comprehensive insurance covers you for the widest range of eventualities including damage to your own vehicle and accidents.

Image Credit

To find the lowest cost coverage that is right for you, it is a good idea to do some research. You can search for the right insurance by using sites such as, which can provide a fast quotation for insurance for HGVs. You can sometimes reduce costs further by increasing your excess and paying in on single payment rather than instalments. For more tips on reducing insurance costs, check out these ideas from the BBC.

As an HGV driver, be aware that you might also need ‘goods in transit’ insurance if you are transporting goods worth more than £50,000 per load.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *